To lose a few pounds (or a lot more), try to avoid trendy or monotonous diets, and instead trust those who have really proven to yield results.
Here are Top 5 diets for weight loss
- You will lose 3 kilos (minimum) the first month. The Weight Watchers method has been successful for several decades, especially among people who have a lot of weight to lose. Overall, it helps you resume sport, boosts your morale and motivation, and is personalized to suit your lifestyle, your tastes, and your pace.
- Intermittent Fasting consists in eating only during an 8h period of the day (for example from 12h to 20h), to benefit from a daily period of 16 continuous hours of fasting (evening, night and morning). In practice, therefore, we dine early, and we completely skip breakfast: coffee or tea without sugar. During these hours of diet, the body, deprived, will draw on its reserves, therefore burn its stored fat. The results? Real! According to studies you lose 2 to 3 kg in three weeks.
- Recognized for its health benefits demonstrated for several decades, the Mediterranean diet also helps to find or regain a normal weight. Tasty and healthy, it favors eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, oilseeds, olive and rapeseed oil, while reducing meat, cheese, cold cuts and sweets. It is not a vegetarian diet since fish (including fatty), seafood, poultry, eggs and goat or sheep cheese are allowed in moderate quantities, but the main part of the plate remains fresh, seasonal vegetables.
- Eat like our ancestors to lose weight: this is the idea of this back-to-basics method which excludes cereal and dairy products, legumes, sugars and all industrial foods. The promise? You lose 2 to 5 kg in 1 month. But in practice, what do we eat? Simply meat, fish, shellfish, seafood and eggs, fruit and vegetables, oilseeds (nuts, almonds, etc.) and seeds (squash, pine nuts, sunflower, etc.), selected fats (coconut, duck, olive, clarified butter, nuts). But you have to forget about bread, pasta, and even rice or lentils, and replace them with sweet potato, butternut squash, parsnip, beetroot, turnip, plantain… and potato! A method to be followed for at least 1 month, but which can then be adapted and kept for the long term.
- Like the paleo diet, the ketogenic diet excludes sugar, grains, legumes, and industrial seed oils. Unlike the paleo diet, the goal of the ketogenic diet is to promote ketosis, a unique metabolic state. When you follow a very low carbohydrate and high fat diet like the ketogenic diet, your blood sugar and insulin levels stay low. This tells your body that carbohydrates are scarce, so you need to burn fat and make ketones. Ketones are special molecules made in your liver that can easily be converted into energy. This energy powers all cells in your body, including your brain cells. Once you've adjusted to fat (after four to six weeks of a ketogenic diet) you start to burn your fat stores instead of using your glucose stores to fuel your body. You lose 2 to 5 kg in 1 month.